As a leading global conservation organisation, every TNC office across the world adheres to high accountability standards. We transparently share information with the public about ourselves and how carefully and effectively we use donations.
Globally, The Nature Conservancy has been recognised by the Ethisphere Institute, a global leader in defining and advancing the standards of ethical business practices, as one of the 2018 'World’s Most Ethical Companies', underscoring our commitment to leading with integrity and prioritising ethical business practices.
- We legally registered as a Section 8 not-for-profit company in India on 20 June 2017, under the name TNC-The Nature Conservancy Centre.
- We are also registered under Sections 12A and 80G of the Income Tax Act. Our donors can avail 50% tax rebate on financial contributions made to us.
- We are guided by an India Advisory Board comprising experts in industry, science, government, and philanthropy.
- We work towards a vision of a vibrant and healthy India that is guided by sound science to manage its natural resources sustainably.
- We follow the Indian Financial Year from April to March and prepare our books of accounts and financial statements as per applicable accounting standards.
Integrity Beyond Reproach
At The Nature Conservancy, we operate with Integrity Beyond Reproach in all of our activities around the world. We commit to:
- Operate and communicate with honesty and transparency
- Hold ourselves accountable to our mission, our teams, and the many communities we serve
- Earn trust by engaging thoughtfully with peers and partners, building relationships, and growing our cultural competencies
Our Values of Integrity Beyond Reproach; One Conservancy; Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures; Commitment to Diversity; and Tangible Lasting Results shape who we are as an organization and how we conduct ourselves as individuals. They inspire us to do the right thing and to do right by one another. Our Values are the foundation for our Code of Conduct.
TNC Code of Conduct: People and Nature Thrive When We…
The TNC Code of Conduct provides the principles and expectations to guide staff, Board members, Trustees/Advisors, volunteers, and third-parties in the course of their work for TNC. One of those expectations is that TNC staff and others acting on our behalf will comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations in each country, state, or locality where TNC operates. Where TNC’s Code or policies are more protective than the laws and customs in certain countries, TNC staff and others acting on our behalf will be held to the higher standards set forth in our Code.
Our Code is also an interactive field guide for our staff that provides access to additional resources to help them make sound ethical and legal decisions. Staff and others who violate our Code will face consequences.
Download The Nature Conservancy's code of conduct.DOWNLOAD
TNC maintains policies and procedures that support our Code of Conduct and provide more detail and direction for staff to follow to achieve TNC’s mission in accordance with high ethical and legal standards. For example, TNC maintains policies and procedures on Conflicts of Interest; Lobbying Limitations; Participation in Candidate Elections; Corporate Engagement; Reporting Suspected Violations of Law or Policy; Confidential Information; Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Diversity; Workplace Conduct, Harassment Prevention and Reporting; Privacy and Personal Data Protection; and Records Management.
TNC Helpline: Ask a Question or Report a Concern
Staff and third parties may contact the Ethics & Compliance team anytime to submit a question or concern at our online Helpline. The TNC Helpline is available online or by phone 24/7/365 in a variety of languages. In the US, you can call 800-461-9330, or text 571-458-1739. Our Helpline page has phone numbers for international calling. Concerns may be submitted anonymously where permitted by law.
TNC takes all concerns seriously and when misconduct is found, consistent disciplinary action and remedial measures are taken across the organization and at all staff levels. At TNC, we are all responsible for speaking up if something does not feel right or if we have concerns about ethical misconduct. We know it takes courage to speak up. TNC will not tolerate retaliation against individuals who ask questions or raise concerns about potential misconduct in good faith.
Ethics & Compliance Program
TNC’s Ethics & Compliance Program is designed to promote and foster: 1) a culture of integrity and ethical-decision making aligned with TNC’s Values; 2) compliance with TNC’s Code of Conduct, policies, procedures and applicable laws; and 3) appropriate risk assessment, due diligence and monitoring to detect, deter and prevent misconduct and unethical behavior. The TNC Ethics & Compliance Office was established by the Board of Directors in 2012.
In addition to our Code and Helpline, our Ethics & Compliance Program includes the following:
- Regular assessment of risks through inputs from Helpline reports, Internal Audit, Legal and management.
- Annual Integrity Awareness training for all staff.
- Routine Code of Conduct awareness for the Board of Directors, Trustees and Advisors.
- Targeted awareness and training for staff to mitigate key risks.
- Conflicts of Interest Committee.
- Fair and impartial investigations of allegations of wrongdoing.
- Privacy program.
- Regular programmatic maturity assessments of our Ethics & Compliance and Privacy programs.
Leadership and Oversight
The Ethics and Compliance Office is led by our Chief Ethics, Compliance & Privacy Officer who reports to our General Counsel and to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors. The Audit Committee has oversight responsibility for the Ethics & Compliance Program and the Chief Ethics, Compliance & Privacy Officer provides a report quarterly to the Audit Committee and annually to the Board of Directors.
Your support can help safeguard India’s future.
When you make a tax-deductible donation to The Nature Conservancy, you’re supporting the most effective solutions to the environment’s most pressing challenges. Your contribution is so much more than a donation; it is an investment in the future of our planet.